Get Started Here!

Finance Flash Go! Episode #6: Active Versus Passive Investing

This episode of the Finance Flash Go podcast is all about active versus passive investing. Which is best?

Listen to the full episode and subscribe here!

Actively managed accounts underperform passively managed funds 80% of the time. And, there is no way to predict ahead of time which actively managed funds will be in the 20%. Your advisor thinks she is smarter than the rest and can beat the 80%. She can’t.  

What about my portfolio, you ask?

My stock portfolio is comprised of passively managed index funds that are designed to approximate the market average, not chase waterfalls.  So, I’ll take an 80% chance versus 20% any day of the week.  

Further, fees in actively managed funds are going to kill you. There’s a saying in Wall Street: “In investing, the goal is for the investor, the advisor, and the brokerage to win. But, two out of three ain’t bad.” Guess who they’re leaving out of this equation?  

active and passive investing

Your advisor wants to get paid. They get paid based on how actively they manage your investments. So, each move is made using their extensive knowledge and training and you must pay for that expertise. Even if it loses 80% of the time…that’s equivalent to hitting below the Mendoza line for all the baseball fans out there.  Most advisors charge an AUM (Accounts Under Management) fee, usually 1%. Doesn’t seem like much. Until you realize that your 8% yield just became 7%. Over an investor’s career, that’s equal to hundreds of thousands of dollars.  

If you are looking for a winning formula, take 20% of your income as savings and invest it passively in broadly diversified, low cost index funds.

Related posts:
How to Find the Perfect Balance Between FIRE & YOLO
5 Easy Steps for Physicians Who Hate Personal Finance
Finance Flash Go! Episode #45: Small Cap vs. Mid Cap vs. Large Cap Stocks
My Stock Portfolio Is Better Than Your Financial Advisor’s
Stress Free Stock Market Investing Is Easier Than It Seems!
Important Money Lessons That I Learned From My Wife
Finance Flash Go! Episode #44: Understanding Growth vs. Value Stock

I really hope that you all enjoy the Finance Flash Go podcast! We plan to release a new episode every weekday answering important finance questions. If you ever want to submit a question to our podcast, send an e-mail to [email protected]

And please subscribe and give us a 5-star rating if you enjoy the podcast! It helps us continue our mission of helping all of us to achieve financial well-being!

Learn more about my flagship course!

Love the blog? We have a bunch of ways for you to customize how you follow us!

Join the Prudent Plastic Surgeon Network

And accelerate your path to financial freedom with my free FIRE calculator!

    We won't send you spam. Unsubscribe at any time.

    Join The Prudent Plastic Surgeon Facebook group to interact with like-minded professional seeking financial well-being


    The Prudent Plastic Surgeon

    Jordan Frey MD, a plastic surgeon in Buffalo, NY, is one of the fastest-growing physician finance bloggers in the world. See how he went from financially clueless to increasing his net worth by $1M in 1 year and how you can do the same! Feel free to send Jordan a message at [email protected]

    Leave a Comment