I have a very predictable breakfast routine. So predictable that it’s the same…every single day. With very rare exception. And that is very much on purpose.
And a lot of people think it’s a little bit strange and like to poke good-natured fun at me. Which I love.
So, I figure I’ll share it here and see what you all think!
What is my breakfast routine?
Every day, I have the same thing for breakfast. And it’s been this way for years.
I have a bowl of cereal. Half of the cereal is Wegman’s brand blueberry frosted mini-wheats. And the other half is chocolate Chex. Sometimes I dress things up with some chocolate chips, berries, bananas, peanut butter puffs (like for infants), and/or marshmallows.
Fill it up with fat free milk and voila. That’s my breakfast.
Why in the world is this what I eat for breakfast?
That’s usually the follow up question.
And my answer is that I have no idea. I just love it. I’ve always loved cereal. And over the years, I’ve honed in my preferences and tastes until I ultimately discovered on this delicious combination.
Usually people then ask why I mix cereals. And to me, that is obvious. If one is good, then two is better. And these two complement each other perfectly. The mini wheats have that nice fresh taste and a nice crunch. And the chocolate Chex are light and give some chocolate taste.
The other reason I love this combo is that the mini-wheats are really filling. So this keeps me full for a long time. Even when I’m missing lunch in long OR cases. That’s a huge plus for me.
But why have a breakfast routine at all?
I actually feel pretty strongly about this for a few reasons:
- It simplifies decision-making. I just have the same thing every day. I don’t waste time, especially during hectic mornings getting kids off to school or before I run to the OR where time is limited
- I don’t get tempted as much by unhealthy breakfast options. Things like donuts, pancakes, waffles, toaster strudels, and all the stuff my kids are eating all the time
- It’s easy to multi-task while eating cereal
- It’s freakin’ delicious. Seriously, try it!
But what about when I can’t follow my breakfast routine?
This usually occurs because I am out of town in a hotel or just running too late to sit and eat cereal.
In those cases, I eat a protein bar with an apple or banana. My favorite protein bar (and only ones I eat) are ONE cookie dough bars.
And there you have it…my breakfast routine! It sounds crazy. But for me, it’s all about building the habits that fit my life and help me reach my goals!
Here are some other helpful posts in this regard:
- Sorta Random Sunday: It Takes 66 Days to Make a New Habit
- Is Decision Fatigue Responsible for the Bad Financial Habits of Doctors?
- 7 Financial Habits of Highly Successful Physicians
- Do You Pass the Celery Test in Your Medical Career
What do you think? Do you have a breakfast routine? Any routines at all? What is yours? Let me know in the comments below!